There is a saying that goes something like “If you do what you have always done, then you will get what you have always gotten.”
I talk to a lot of salespeople who continue to plow ahead working harder to make more sales with the same approach they have used for years. In the words of Dr. Phil, “How’s that workin’ for ya?”
You would probably agree that the basics around what salespeople need to do to be successful hasn’t changed – they still must hunt, qualify and close. If your results are not what you want them to be, then maybe what needs to change is the way you go about those three critical tasks.
How is your Hunting?
- Are you still hunting with old technology or are you using Sales 2.0 tools like LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook to connect with prospects, customers and former customers?
- Are you still relying on mass marketing approaches in the hopes that enough people will respond only to realize that most of those that do are looking for free information?
- Do you have a systematic approach to generating a stream of introductions and referrals or do you still depend on cold calls?
What about Qualifying?
- Are you still telling the prospect why they should do business with you or asking them why they agreed to meet with you?
- Do you have an effective selling system that tells you when to stay and when to walk away?
- Are you selling consultatively? Asking good questions, asking enough questions, developing relationships early in the sales process, understanding why prospects buy and listening effectively?
And what about Closing?
- Does your prospect agree to give you a decision after you present your solution or do you get a lot of “think it over” and “we’ll let you know?”
- Do you get derailed because you present without all of the decision makers present?
- Do you finish presenting your solution and NOT ask for the business by asking, “What do you think” or “What questions do you have” OR will you close with “What would you like to do now?”
Today’s buyers have access to information that used to be unavailable to them and there are always going to be desperate salespeople that will give them whatever they want with the hope of getting a “shot” to write the account.
Maybe your results are where you want them to be, but if not, think about what YOU are going to get if you don’t do some things differently.