We’ve been doing a fair amount of research into lead generation through our primary source, Hubspot. We’ve had a long business relationship with them because they provide a great platform for all things that are digital marketing and associated data. One thing we will begin to take better advantage of is their CRM application. This will allow us to tie our marketing efforts directly to a client management AND pipeline management system.
Why is this important? Because without a coordinated system that links marketing and sales:
- Sales and marketing will probably not be in sync
- There will be duplicates of effort attempting to generate helpful data regarding the impact of marketing efforts
- The ability to clearly see the conversion of marketing lead generation to sales opportunity is compromised due to user error or lack of participation (not entering data)
- Failure to coordinate the lead generation with a milestone based sales process makes it difficult for managers to effectively manage performance and conduct intentional coaching. (The manager will find it difficult to determine if the sales person has an effort problem or an execution problem)
- Predictability of future sales revenue is dependent upon knowing exactly what is going into the pipeline – lead generation – and the conversion of those leads throughout your sales process.
As you can see below the marketing area is where they are least aligned at 53%. This isn’t the end of the problem. We also asked all of the relationship managers (16) to write out the bank’s value proposition, brand
Overall results (not shown) indicate that less than 50% of the relationship managers in the group were able to express the value proposition with any consistency and only 25% responded with the correct brand promise. On the other hand, there was a 75% consistency in the elevator pitch.
- Assess your sales management team to identify the variance in strategy alignment and the messaging being communicated by the sales team.
- Communicate, train and coach sales managers on how to effectively deliver the brand promise, the value
propositionand the elevator pitch.
- Get sales management and marketing to work with the relationship managers to make sure they know the promise of the organization and can effectively communicate it to one another and to the market place. (Training sessions that include drill-for-skill and role-playing are useful.)
- Have sales managers perform joint calls with relationship managers so that they can observe and critique delivery of the message.
- Create and embed email templates within your CRM system that
RMsmay use when communicating tosuspects, prospectsand clients.
- Overstate the brand promise in sales meetings.
The First Moment of Truth isn’t what it used to be. I’ve quoted this research before, The Zero Moment of Truth (
The first moment of truth for your sales people today
- Stop thinking about your sales process to improve converting leads to opportunities
- Identify the buying process of your market place and match your approach to working with them to that buying process
- Understand that in order to get someone to move your sales people from the assessment stage to the
buyersdecision stage they have to be more informative. Informative about things that they buyers doesn’talready know.
- This doesn’t mean ‘pitch’ them on the features and benefits of your products or solutions.
- This does mean that your people have to be better at providing useful information, becoming a resource for business solutions and guiding prospects through their buying stages
The world of buying has changed. It’s time to change the world of selling.
How well does your team measure against your industry? Assess your salespeople on the 21 core selling competencies.