Achieving the work-life balance sales professionals all hear and dream of starts with having a personal vision and a set of non-negotiable goals.
In this article, we will discuss the 4 must-do sales activities and the characteristics that all successful salespeople share when striving for the freedom of success.
We recently celebrated Cinco de Mayo, which is an annual celebration held on May 5th. The date is observed to commemorate the Mexican Army's (unexpected) victory over the French Empire at the Battle of Puebla, on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza.
So today let’s commemorate the victory and personal freedoms that comes from success in sales.
There are two freedoms that successful people enjoy: the freedom of time and the freedom of choice. You see, when you are always playing from behind, you never feel like you can take time off or treat yourself to that vacation or long weekend.
Successful people aren’t successful by chance or luck. They all have (at least) four things in common.
- They all have a vision of where they want to go, starting with the end in mind.
- They have a mission. The “how you will achieve your vision” -in other words what are the behaviors associated with success.
- Goals become the mile markers that let you know when you’ve “left the road”.
- And they have a “WHY”- why they keep going when they don’t want to.
So, decide what freedoms you want. Determine what those freedoms require. Build your plan to get there.
- It all starts with your success formula, the behaviors you must execute day in and day out to accomplish your goals.
- Track your behaviors weekly and be accountable to someone other than yourself (we’re too good at explaining to ourselves why we didn’t do something).
- Know your SMART numbers- what are the key metrics that really drive your business, those can’t miss numbers.
- Build your Unique Sales Approach (USA) that is compelling to the people in your sandbox; those that fit your profile.
Finally, don’t do all of this and stick it in the drawer. You should review your vision, mission and goals annually and your success formula and SMART numbers quarterly.
Now go out and sell something and celebrate the freedom of success.